Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pumpkin Soup

I attended a luncheon last Friday. It was a fundraiser for a local music appreciation group, and about 30 ladies were in attendance for what was called a "Lovely Ladies' Luncheon."

I wasn't too thrilled when I learned the appetizer was pumpkin soup. I don't exactly dislike pumpkin, but if I have a choice between a pumpkin pie and another kind of pie, I'll inevitably choose whatever the other one is.

I was WRONG about pumpkin soup, however. It was absolutely delicious. I could've consumed several bowls of it, but I suppose had I done so, I'd have been demoted from my Lovely Lady status.

Here's the recipe. I plan to make it for us at some point during the holidays.

Pumpkin Soup (Serves 6)

4 T sweet butter
1/4 c. green onions, chopped
2 lg. white potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
4 c. chicken stock
1-1 lb. can (13 oz.) canned pumpkin, mashed (not the kind with pumpkin pie seasonings added)
2 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. Great Western NYS Solera sherry
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated nutmeg to taste

In a deep soup pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook. Stir until onions are transparent and wilted. Add cubed potatoes and 1 cup chicken stock. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat and pour into electric blender and puree. Return to soup pot and add remaining chicken stock, pumpkin, heavy cream, and sherry.

Absolutely delicious! Our hostess said the recipe comes from a Great Western wine cookbook.

4 comments:

  1. boy does that soup sound good but I love pumpkin pies...bought 4 sugar free ones to take to Thanksgiving dinner at my son's. He cooks the entire dinner...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm... I do love soup! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jean...I am so far behind on commenting that I think I am in first place...lol!!
    Hope you are having a lovely Thanksgiving day with family and friends, and a ton of things to be thankful for ...well maybe not the snow haha...I got about 8 nches !!
    I could have waited to make a lovely Christmas morning instead!! ; }

    Have a great one
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! The soup sounds very good and I shall give it a try. Tis the season for a good, hot bowl of soup. I like the new header photo, very fallish indeed.

    ReplyDelete