Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Maine: The Way Life Should Be

I'm a softie for a good, old-fashioned Maine blizzard. And that's what's happening outside our windows today.

It's about time. Just a couple of days ago, I mentioned to Ken that we really needed a good snowstorm. Fields were looking bare; there wasn't enough snow to ski or snowshoe in...and what's a Maine winter for if not for playing in the snow?

Molly has staked out her territory for the day: the end of the sofa nearest the woodstove. It's no coincidence that she chose the end nearest the heat of the stove.

The cardinal has been to the feeder many times this morning, stocking up on groceries.

And, Ken's biggest thrill: he got to use his pickup's four-wheel drive when he took Molly to the vet for a tune-up earlier this morning! What guy doesn't enjoy putting his vehicle into four-wheel drive when given the opportunity? I suspect Ken gets to use the four-wheel drive about twice a year, max.

As for me, it looks like a good day for knitting.

10 comments:

  1. Well Said. Life as it should be, for sure. Thought of you when I heard the forecast.

    No snow here but we had our share of ICE. I'll take snow any day.

    Dogs.....what would we do without them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect New England winter. Certainly sounds like a day I would enjoy from the inside looking out.

    Was Molly as excited as Ken about using the 4 wheel drive? She looks pretty content on the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jean...yes...!!
    for me even the mail can wait until my plow guy gets to me ..
    This is worse than the BLIZZARD...it hasn't let up since I dragged out of bed a 7:00am...hard to know how much with the wind blowing , but must be at least 10 inches !!
    Keep the coffee hot and your tootsies by the fire!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you can thank us for your storm. If you find a knit hat, I think it's mine. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All right! You finally got your snow! Ours turned to rain and is going, going, gone already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah..a receipe for a perfect Maine winter day. Molly is a very clever gal to stake out a spot and make it her very own. I do hope her "tune-up" was nothing serious, perhaps a mani-pedi? As for the four wheel drive...Mark seems to get a thrill when he uses it in his old Jeep. Although it didn't work well this afternoon when he came home from work to our unplowed driveway. He had to leave his Jeep on the neighbor's side and trudge down the driveway in his loafers...I love the cardinal photo and the header...I have not had birds for a month or so...are they all at your house?

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad you are enjoying your snowy day...we're had our one snow storm for the winter...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have gotten only one snow storm but the cold has lasted so long that weeks later little patches still linger in the deep shade. Cozy photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see Molly is just loving the warmth and glad to be indoors. Brrr... The photo of the cardinal with the snow blowing tells it all. You must have finished several sweaters by now.

    ReplyDelete