Sunday, September 19, 2010

Out and about

We took a spin in the jitney today, probably our last until warm weather arrives next spring.

This is the 1915 Model T speedster which Ken built from scratch over the past couple of years.

She purred like a kitten today. I think she enjoyed being out on the road and showing her stuff.







Ken began collecting the parts for this auto before I'd even met him. In fact, this steering wheel was part of Ken's living room "decor" when we first started dating.

I was not impressed to see a steering wheel mounted on a wall, but now that I've finally come to understand what this Model T means to Ken, I understand why he proudly displayed it in that fashion forty years ago.


As you can see by our feet, there isn't much room in the front seat of a "T."

If the speedometer just above my feet were totally visible, you might be impressed that it reads "30 mph." The truth is, though, that the speedometer reads 30 mph even when the T is standing still. In other words, the speedometer is there for looks only.






We drove through the countryside of Limerick and came to a field full of ripe pumpkins. When we retraced our route to come back home, the field was full of parents and little children, out to select the perfect pumpkin.










We drove to the top of Horac Mountain in Limerick. I'd never heard of this mountain before, although I'd seen it plenty of times. The view was spectacular, even on a lowery day like today. (I can't find "lowery" in the dictionary, but in this area we use it to mean a day of low-hanging clouds.)

It was a good little excursion. Windy, but good. I do wish the T had a windshield. My eyeballs feel totally dried out.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jean ..well first of you need to get yourself a pair of those googles that they used to wear when the had those fangled cars on the road a long scarf to flutter in the breeze!! : }
    What a fun day that must have been!!
    I bet you get lots of looks!!
    Impressive steering wheel Ken has there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your story about loving a man with a steering wheel on his wall and sticking with him long enough for it to be included in something that can actually take you somewhere. Also, I didn't know there was a Limerick in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great story and thanks for the pictures of Maine. It is indeed a beautiful state.

    People who fall in love with T's never recover. May he live to experience that love affair for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a grand day indeed. Yes, you need a fancy pair of goggles to wear while touring. What a beautiful header photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun looking car! I imagine everybody would want to ride in it. Ken must be so proud of it. It's amazing to think he built it himself! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fun hobby! and a great outing...surely you have more fall warm days to be out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun outing and what an accomplishment for Ken.

    I feel Maine calling.

    ReplyDelete