I've hardly dared comment on my vegetable garden this summer for fear the slightest little boast would put a hex on it. Let's face it, last summer's miserable gardening results left me shaken and bereft of gardening confidence.In June I planted timidly. I didn't bother plant many of our favorites, such as swiss chard and radishes, thinking they probably wouldn't come up anyway. I planted fewer tomato plants than usual; ditto with the green pepper plants.
It's taken me a long while to get back to the confident gardener I used to be, but I'm almost there.
I'm so almost there that I'm going to take a brave step and show you some of my garden produce from the past few days.
My garden is such a happening place that I've been canning tomatoes left and right, using lots of green peppers in making huge batches of dynamites, freezing chopped summer squash and zucchini to sneak into soups and stews this winter, and just plain glorying in the sight of a morning's trip to the garden as it's displayed on my kitchen counter.Dynamites minus the final step: the meatballs. I made this batch last Saturday, photographing as I moved along. But then friends dropped in, we invited them to stay for supper, and I couldn't bring myself to let them see me photographing the dynamites once the meatballs were added.
So imagine two dozen meatballs nestled in amongst the celery, green peppers, onions, and tomato soup.
As you can see, my vegetables are as happy as I am. I caught a few of them forming this happy face on my counter this morning. Little rascals that they are.
Now there's talk of a possible visit from Hurricane Earl. That could devastate the dozens of tomatoes still in my garden, so if the hurricane appears imminent, I'll just go out and pick them all, bring 'em inside, and let them finish ripening here.



Jean, this almost makes me want to have a garden. Better yet, why don't you send some of everything you have in dry ice?
ReplyDeleteThanks so much,
Your friend,
Marcia
Your garden certainly did a fantastic job this summer. I am sitting here thinking of dynamites...even as hot as it is. I hope "Earl" stays far enough away so that your garden can continue on growing. And what rascals the produce is...smiling for the camera.
ReplyDeleteGracious, I do believe you had a good garden. Wonderful pictures of it all. I hope Earl will spare your garden.
ReplyDeletemy hubby used to love gardens but too many failures with blight stopped him. I would love to have fresh tomatoes-guess it's time for a trip to the farmers market.
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of "dynamites" as a food.I'm envious of your produce. Nary a ripe tomato yet in our patch, and the zucchini have been skimpy.
ReplyDeleteStay away, Earl.
That's quite a successful garden you got going there!! Congrats, and mmmmgood veges. I like to eat a [garden-ripe]tomato sandwich...little mayo, salt , pepper. It's a wonderful thing.
ReplyDeleteAwww, Jean! This is such a happy post! Congratulations on your fantastic harvest. You definitely have a green thumb.
ReplyDeleteOh Jean those canned tomatoes look fab!!
ReplyDeleteThere is no store bought canned tomatoes that can beat home canned ones especially if they come from your own garden!!
Looks like Earl may not be such a biggy as they thought so your garden may have a few weeks left!!
Love the veggie face!!
Hi Jean. Nice to have you call at my 'place.' What a good gardener and cook you must be? A mouth-watering blog! I will be back to read some of your earlier blogs, like the previous one with your old photos. - Dave
ReplyDeleteAnd of course you visit to NZ and Australia. - Dave
ReplyDeleteReally inspiring, Jean! Makes me want to do veggie gardening. Congratulations on your good produce! Yum! Love the last photo, so cute!
ReplyDelete