Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cake on wheels, etc.

Our family has a budding artist named Miss V. Miss V is only four, but she's not afraid to wield a crayon or marker to express herself.

In this case, she made a birthday cake drawing for her Uncle Ken. As you can see, the cake has many layers and several candles, too. Twelve candles to be exact.

You can also see, perhaps, that Miss V wrote

UN
C
L
E
K EN and HPPYP down the side and at the bottom of the cake. But do you see the "donuts" under the cake? Those are wheels, because Miss V knows that her Uncle Ken likes trucks and tractors. This is a tractor-cake, perhaps.

When she visits us, Miss V likes to sort buttons. I get out my bag of buttons, many which I've had for decades, and Miss V proceeds to sort them by color, by size, by shape, by whatever. She also doles out buttons to the rest of us, choosing special ones that make good gifts.

Here she's using my Nordic pastry tin for sorting.


In other news, our beautiful snow is all but ruined. We got heavy rain and wind from Sunday night through Monday, and that has left us with many bare fields. Depressing. I hope more snowstorms come our way before long, but there's none in the forecast at the moment.

I've been flirting with a little spring cleaning. It's not spring, of course, but I like to get an early start. Today I'm tackling my study, which is an embarrassing site/sight. If I added more to it, I'd achieve the rank of "horder." In my own defense, though, most of the stuff stored in here belongs to my sorority organization. When the new state president takes office in April, she'll acquire these boxes of mostly-useless-but-who-dares-throw-away-any-of-it junk. I can't wait.

But then there are my bins of yarn, too. I have three bins of it to dip into when I feel like casting something new onto my needles. It's a comforting thought to realize my yarn is there waiting for me.

That's the news from here. Nothing too exciting, I admit, but it was time to update my post!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting, we also have a button sorter in our family. He recently recived the Playmobil recycling truck and has spent hours "recycling" buttons.

    Yarn, yes, you can never have too much yarn if you're snowed in for days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Happy Birthday Uncle Ken! What a lovely card from Miss V! A budding artist for sure. Loved the wheels! I remember how I loved to look through Grammy's buttons when I was little! I have a tin of buttons, it must certainly run in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good to see you are enjoying family. fun idea to sort buttons. there's an old pioneer button game too where you put a string through the button holes then tie it in a circle and twirl the button. Fun for kids. Nice birthday drawing.

    ReplyDelete