Friday, November 20, 2009

Thinking Green


"All I ask is that one post be devoted to how you try to take care of the planet by living green and being more environmentally conscious. Do you recycle, eat more local foods, avoid plastic bags to name a few. Grab the award and link back to Rambling Woods."

Ken and I have been "green thinkers" for years. We shut off lights where they're not in use; we use low-energy bulbs; we recycle paper, plastic, aluminum, glass; we grow many of our own vegetables (although this summer's garden gets an "F.") we combine shopping trips so as to limit the number of times we need to be consuming gasoline; we chose our last new car (a Honda Accord) specifically because of its high mpg. I use the dishwasher and washing machines only when I have full loads; I hang clothes outside to dry when the weather cooperates. When the weather doesn't cooperate, I partially dry the laundry in the dryer, then finish the drying on a drying rack. Finally, we use canvas bags when we go shopping, and we put all food wastes into a compost bin.

I feel each of us on this earth has a right to a small share of its resources, but overuse, with no attention to how much we're using, is inexcusable in this day and age.

4 comments:

  1. Yae, Jean! I forgot to add that we just bought a Prius. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my heart set on a Prius the last time we traded, but Ken said we should wait a few years to see how the Prius proves out. From the number of them I'm seeing on the roads, though, I'd say they're living up to their promises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you...the planet thanks you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use cloth bags whenever I shop. I like to find bargains in thrift shops which in turn support local charities and recycle someone else's "trash or treasure". I recycle everything possible. I give old towels to the local animal shelter for the pets.

    ReplyDelete