Thursday, June 25, 2009

Whoa! A squatter!


Every summer I move my ficus tree from the front hallway to the front porch, where it can enjoy fresh air and sunshine on a regular basis. (Provided we don't get endless rain....) That's it sitting to the right of the front door.

A few minutes ago I stepped onto the porch to check out my plants and see if anything needs some mothering.

Suddenly a bird came screeching out of somewhere, giving me the what-for. Once I'd collected myself, I realized the bird is a robin. She was now perched on the railing, glaring at me.

I looked around a bit, and there, right at my eye level, was a beautiful robin's nest sitting in my ficus tree. Funny I'd never noticed it before, because I'm out on the front porch puttering around on nearly a daily basis. Maybe this is a pre-fab nest that was put up over night.

The robin continued cursing me out as I peeked into the nest. 

Sure enough, one beautiful blue robin's egg!

I went back to snap a couple of quick pictures, much to Mama's disgust, but I'll leave the nest alone from now on, I promise.

(Double-click on the second photo to see the robin more clearly.)

4 comments:

  1. That's amazing that the mama robin built her nest so close to where you are. How amazing that it would build a nest in your houseplant. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome story. Obviously Mama Robin felt comfortable with you and moved right in! Ooo...and the little egg is so pretty. Have fun with your "squatters" and keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well let us know when the new baby arrives and of course we'll need a photo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count me among those that are bordering dumbfounded that the robin built so close to the front door and the traffic pattern that brings. Sort of a WOW factor involved here.

    I gotta say, I think I covet your house. I'm trying not too... but, I think it may be a losing battle. I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete