
I was just reading Amanda Soule's latest post, and that prompted me to check out Nest Maine. It sounds like a great project for knitters who'd like to help "folks right at home," as Scout says in To Kill a Mockingbird: "Jem, how can you hate Hitler so bad an' then turn around and be ugly about folks right at home—" (I taught that novel every single year, to sometimes 3-4 classes at a time, for at least twenty years and never once got tired of it. So many passages are so beautifully written and powerful that I always insisted I had to read them aloud to the students, whether they wanted to hear them or not.) The ending, in which Scout stands on the Radley front porch and views the world from Boo's perspective, just about reduced me to heart-wrenching sobs every cussed time. What a novel.)
I digress. Back to Nest Maine. It's a project providing handknit items to people in Maine, and we Mainers know our beautiful state can have some cold, cold winter days and nights. If you knit, check out the site and warm up your needles. Note, however, that the knitted items need to be made from natural fibers, not synthetics, so that would include wool, soy, cotton. No doubt wool is best, and an excellent, reasonably priced wool yarn is made by Paton.
Just sayin'.
what lovely warm stockings...curled up with a good book-you couldn't ask for more...
ReplyDeleteI thoroughly enjoyed your little side trip on "To Kill a Mockingbird." I agree. It's one of the greatest of the great classics.
ReplyDeleteSweet socks! How cozy they will be. I will definitely have to keep my knitting needles going and see what I can do to help out. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Now I must go read "To Kill a Mockingbird". I obviously didn't have you for a teacher!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I will exchange "The Necklace" for "To Kill A Mockingbird"...
ReplyDeleteCheryl: It's a deal.
ReplyDeleteAlright, I've wracked my brain enough...should I know where the header photo is??
ReplyDeleteNope, you probably don't know where the header photo was taken. It's near Cornish. I always have admired this scene and finally took a picture of it over the weekend...when the sun was shining, believe it or not.
ReplyDelete