Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A sweater and a recipe

I have a love/hate relationship with finishing a knitting project. I love the completion, but I hate now having nothing on my needles. I usually spend the first day after finishing a project wandering through the house, wondering what I'll knit next. It's  just comforting to know there's something on my needles for me to sit and work on when I get a spare minute.

Anyway, this February Lady sweater is for me! I love brown and have just the skirt to wear with it. The yarn is Lion Brand Cotton-ease, which I love and which is sinfully reasonable, especially when you take advantage of a Michael's or AC Moore sale. This sweater cost me $16 to knit.

Now for the recipe. After posting the photo of the "Auntie Bea's Torte" the other day, I received a request for the recipe. I'm happy to share it. Auntie Bea wasn't my aunt; she was my good friend's aunt. She was 100% Swedish, from New Sweden, Maine, and she could bake up a storm, apparently, judging from this recipe.

Auntie Bea's Tarta (Torte)
1/2 c. butter or margarine
1/2 c. sugar
 4 egg yolks
1 t. vanilla
1 c. cake flour
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
5 T. milk


4 egg whites
1 c. sugar
chopped walnuts
fresh fruit

Cream together butter and 1/2 c. sugar. Add egg yolks, well beaten, and vanilla.

Stir together cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Add alternately with milk.

Spread into two 8-inch pans. (I grease the bottom only of each pan, then line the bottom only with baker's parchment paper.)

Beat egg whites until stiff; add 1 c. sugar gradually. Spread over each layer and cover with chopped nuts.

Bake 1/2 hour at 325°.

Turn out carefully. Cool. Put together with fresh fruit (sliced peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries....) and whipped cream or any cream filling.

5 comments:

  1. the torte sound lovely and the sweater is wonderful...you'll have to model it with the skirt...I kind of feel that way when I finish a poem or article but I can always go back and rewrite it. unfortunately you don't want to do that-go back and unwind and redo...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love thoae pansey's and I'm going to make Aunt Bea's Tarte...yum, love tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sweater and the color is my favorite. I bet you will come up with another project soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sweater is absolutely gorgeous! I'm so envious of people who know how to knit. I did a cap a long time ago but don't know how anymore. Your sweater looks like something out of an expensive boutique. You are very, very talented.

    That torte also sounds delicious!
    Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Glorious Morning......

    By chance, may I leave out the walnuts in the torte recipe. Our grandaughter is allergic to nuts. She loves strawberry shortcake and I would like to make it for her.

    Thanks. twobassets@isp.com

    ReplyDelete