Monday, March 30, 2009

Meet Ruby

My Idaho niece recently provided a link to an adorable handmade doll

The more I studied that doll, however, the more I convinced myself it was more work than I wanted to get into. I needed a doll as a gift for a friend's grand daughter, though, so I searched the web for a "simpler" pattern. 

I found this.  


For some bizarre reason which eludes me, I thought this Ruby doll would be much easier to make than the doll my niece had pointed out.

(I also thought geometry would be easy in high school. I'm still suffering from the effects of that fiasco. And I thought I could learn to water ski at one point in my younger life. I continue to have nightmares about that afternoon at Embden Pond.)

Anyway, I made the Ruby doll yesterday and today, devoting way more time to her than I'd planned on, and just sat her down for a photo shoot.

She seems to be a rather demure, unassuming lady, don't you think?

She sat quietly for the photo shoot and even agreed to be photographed with Douglas, the stuffed LL Bean dog.
But then SOMEONE got wind of the goings-on in the living room and invited herself to the festivities.

The rest, as they say, is history.


8 comments:

  1. Love it! She is sooo cute! You did a great job on her (love her name, too). I especially love the last photo, of Molly B. getting in on the action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the doll survived the dogs jealousy after all that work. she is cute-the doll that is..

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute Ruby is! What a sweet doll for a little girl. Jeez, at least you were brave enough to try water-skiing, I can remember watching people try and being scared to try myself! Gosh I loved spending time at Embden Pond though. I bet Molly was just trying to give Ruby a kiss....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather: Isn't the doll's name interesting, given our loss of Aunt Ruby recently?

    Lin: Yes, Ruby survived Molly's jealousy.

    Cheryl: I have good memories of Embden Pond, too. Of course I didn't appreciate it way back then, but I do now. I suspect you're right: Molly just wanted to give little Ruby a kiss. Yes! That's it! Molly was being affectionate. I should have realized that at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. This signature photo of Roberta and me was taken at Embden Pond by our older sister when we were about 4 and 6. I love this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes...I wasn't sure if that was the doll's name already, or if you had named her Ruby, but I thought it was very appropriate. She is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute doll... and too funny that your puppy obviously thinks so too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The doll is adorable and your post was fun too. I've never had the nerve to try and water ski and geometry --which seemed to easy and logical to my hubby and sons--confounded me.

    ReplyDelete