Friday, July 3, 2015

Playing tourist

Ken and I decided to spend a recent Saturday exploring the Old Port area of Portland (Maine). Usually when we go into Portland, it's to eat at a restaurant and then go home. Walking around in the Old Port is something we seldom do.

First, though, we stopped for lunch at Gilbert's Chowder House.

Seafood doesn't get any fresher than what Gilbert's serves, because the fishing and lobstering boats bring in their catches daily.
I indulged in fish and chips. Healthy? No. Delicious? Yes. Ken had crab cakes, which he enjoyed as well.

This is the view from the outside deck at Gilbert's.

On a side street we came across this shop, "Just Kim." Most, if not all, of the items are made in Maine. Kim, herself, makes beautiful bags of all sizes. Her sewing machine and fabrics are set up behind the counter, and she sews all day.

I left Just Kim's with a shoulder bag for myself (a lobster print, naturally) and a pair of earrings for a friend.

I had to take this photo at Just Kim's and send it to my friend in England. When Margaret visited us last summer, she asked if it was true that Mainers use the word "wicked" to mean "very" or "exceedingly." Yup, we do. This started maybe 20 years ago, probably by a Downeaster, and it has become a part of our everyday speech. On a cold winter morning, I've been known to say it's "wicked cold out there."  Just the other day my sister said, in an email to me, that it was "wicked hot" in Idaho at the moment. Today here in Maine, by the way, it's a wicked beautiful day.
Of course we had to stop at an ice cream shop for an ice cream. I had Needhams ice cream, and it was delicious. It actually contained nice chunks of Needhams candy. What are Needhams? They're a Maine candy, the filling containing potato (yes!), coconut, confectioner's sugar, and butter; the outside being hand-dipped chocolate. I used to make Needhams every Christmas, but then I made the mistake of calculating the number of calories per bar. I haven't made them since. (Click on the first "Needhams" above to see the recipe and learn more about their origin.

I thought the Portland waterfront was especially pretty on this particular Saturday. It looked busy and calm at the same time. The photo above shows two yellow and white ferries. They take passengers to the islands in Casco Bay.

It was a good day to enjoy the Old Port. It was also good to have done it before our high tourist season begins,...which is this weekend.

If you'd like your own tour of the Old Port, just click on any of the red-highlighted words and you'll find yourself there in record time.

3 comments:

  1. how fun, now I'm hungry for fresh clam chowder...and coolness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a great place to explore, and eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post makes me hungry!!! That all sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete