Where've I been? Right here for the most part.
But we had a visitor for two weeks. My friend Margaret, from northern England, arrived June 6 for a two-week visit with us.
When she asked me last December if we were up for a houseguest for two solid weeks, I was apprehensive, to say the least. I've had overnight guests, and guests of a few days, but two weeks??
I wasn't sure I could handle it. Ken and I lead a rather quiet life, and I certainly enjoy my daily routines. I wasn't sure I'd be able to handle having all of that disrupted.
As it turned out, I needn't have worried. Margaret was a wonderful guest to have in one's home. She made no demands, was up for whatever we suggested, and truly appreciated her "trip of a lifetime," as she called it.
We took her to Bailey and Orr's Islands (in the top two photos).
To the Maine Fiber Frolic in Windsor. Margaret's a knitter, just as I am, so our day at the Fiber Frolic was a highlight of her stay for both of us.
To Perkins Cove in Ogunquit
To Nubble Lighthouse in York
To MANY yarn shops. In fact, I gave Margaret a spare tote for her trip home. Her suitcase was full of yarn, so the tote held the clothes she'd brought with her.
To Portland Head Light
For a ride in Ken's Model A
To Boston for a land tour AND a boat tour
I taught her the tricky kitchener stitch for finishing off the toe of a sock. I was quite proud of myself for this, I must admit, since I've been knitting for only nine years; Margaret has knitted since she was five years old. She can still knit two socks to my one, though, so she's the more experienced and faster knitter.
We went to Camden for a day and enjoyed lobster rolls and clam chowder at Cappy's Chowder House.
We drove up to Bridgton, Ken's home town, to show her the beauty of Hio Ridge, then on to North Conway, NH, and into the White Mountains.
Here Margaret and I are on Cathedral Ledge, North Conway.
The final day of Margaret's visit came much too soon. Here Ken highlights for her on a Maine map the various places we visited during her stay.
We had few language difficulties. There was that one time when I was discussing "cowls" and didn't realize Margaret was discussing "owls" until we were well into the discussion. I segued to "owls" and the conversation was a success.
It was hard to say goodbye to Margaret. She cried; I cried. The two weeks went by much too quickly.
How wonderful! What is it with us introverts? We think we can't manage to have someone else around to 'mess up" or quiet, routine lives? And then it all turns out to be a great vacation from ourselves!
ReplyDeleteI'm an introvert for sure, Linda. You nailed it! I like predictability and routine.
ReplyDeletean adventure for all...
ReplyDeleteThis visit was a great event for you all. It is great to read about all that you did. I too would get a bit anxious is someone was coming to visit for two weeks. I think you made this special for both of you.
ReplyDelete