Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sunday jaunt

Ken had been getting ready for Sunday's jaunt for weeks. We were headed for York to attend the Maine Obsolete Auto League show. Not only was the "A" washed and polished, it also had had various minor surgeries to make sure the engine purred like a kitten...or coughed like a cat with a hairball, more likely.

The day dawned sunny but it never did warm up as much as the weather man had promised.

We wore layers of clothes so we could peel them off if the temperature got into the 60's. It never did.

The car has no windows and no heater, but the ride wasn't uncomfortable. The heat from the engine kept my feet warm, and if my feet are warm, the rest of me tends to be happy.

Each time I ride in this car, I think of the Joads in Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. They rode from Oklahoma to California on Route 66 (unpaved) in a newer vehicle, but I doubt the front seat was much more spacious than this one. Jammed into their front seat were Tom Joad, his sister Rose of Sharon, and his mother. If they could be crammed into a small space for several days, then surely I can tolerate a drive of an hour or more.


We stopped for the Amtrak passenger train in North Berwick. The train was making its morning Portland-to-Boston run.

The car rattled and hummed along. It makes many strange noises, which I don't understand, but I suspect Ken knows the source of each one of them. He didn't appear worried, so I decided not to worry either.
Before we knew it, we'd arrived.

We were surprised by the hundreds of autos on display. Many of them, from the 50's and 60's, aren't what I'd call "obsolete," but I guess it all depends upon one's perspective (and age).



 I can't say I'm an antique auto enthusiast. Give me a new car that rides comfortably, has heating and air conditioning, power steering and brakes, and I'm happy.

But Ken's passion is antique autos, so I try to be supportive.

He always tells me to bring my knitting on these jaunts. He knows I'm not one to stand around and listen to guys discuss their old cars.

This time I took along some crochet supplies, too, because I wanted to learn to knit a granny square.
That proved to be quick and easy.

I also finished sock #1 of a pair to be donated to afghans for Afghans. I used a different color yarn on the heel, a wool/nylon combo, to give it additional durability.

So that was Sunday. We were back home by mid-afternoon.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jean..."The great antique road adventure" makes me think of driving Miss Daisy for some reason : }
    I am sure the hubby enjoyed that..like we women who have our thinks we enjoy like crocheting
    and knitting!! Hope you eyes are doing great!!
    I am still dropping!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a lot of doing in a short time. I'm not sure I love Afghans enough to make socks for them. Hats maybe but not socks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grammies G, it's funny you mentioned Miss Daisy, because as I sat in the back seat of the car at the event (hoping not to draw attention to myself), and knitting, a viewer came along, poked his head into the open window, and said, "Why you must be Miss Daisy!" I meant to add that in the post but forgot. We watched Driving Miss Daisy recently, and the ending made me cry like I'd never done the first time I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful old car! I'm not a knitter, so I might have had to find a coffee shop with Wi-Fi.

    ReplyDelete