 |
| Unloading our high-speed ferry from Ancona, Italy, to Patras, Greece |
Note: I've been trying for four days now to make this update both complete and presentable. Blogger won't let me do either, and I have no idea why. Once try to type below the "...and all was well again" paragraph, things go ka-flooey. The text, in fact, ends up at the bottom of the very last photo on this update.
So, I've decided to admit defeat and just publish the thing, unfinished. The header photo, by the way, is of the ancient amphitheater at Delphi, Greece. Impressive, isn't it?
Once again I have managed to jumble up the order of these photo, so please bear with me.
We left Ancona, Italy, around 5:00 pm on Sept. 19 and reaching Patras, Greece, about twenty-four hours later.
It was a lovely cruise in a very modern and clean ship. Our little cabin was just right for two tired tourists. I had the best sleep of the entire trip that night, so I guess the ship must have rocked me to sleep. We drove immediately from Patras to Olympia and spent the next night there. The next morning we went to the ruins of the first Greek games. Excavations have revealed much about the once elaborate site. We receiving a 15-minute heavy downpour while there, forcing all of the tourists in our group to huddle under a lean-to, but then the rains stopped, the sun came out, and all was well again.
 |
| Olympia, site of first Greek Games |
 |
| View from our hotel room balcony in Delphi |
 |
| Ken and I were among the few tourists who climbed to the very top of Mt. Parnassus |
The above photos were taken at Delphi. I loved Delphi! I had no idea so much of the orginal site had been excavated.
 |
| Coastal view during drive from Patras to Olympia |
We climbed and climbed at Delphi, visiting the huge amphitheater, then continuing on to the very top of the site. The view from there was spectacular. |
| On the slopes of Mt. Parnassus, site of the Oracle at Delphi |
The last day of our |
| Donkeys on the Greek island of Hydra |
 |
| Donkeys carrying goods from the port village of Hydra, one of the Greek islands, up into the mountains |
 |
| Greek flag on the Acropolis, Athens |
 |
| The last night of our trip-dinner at our Athens hotel |
 |
| The four of us taking a break on the Acropolis |
 |
| The Parthenon |
 |
| Sure enough, we had a pirate on our ship during our cruise to three Greek islands |
 |
| Approaching the Greek island of Hydra, in the Mediterranean |
 |
| Sunset as we return to Athens before heading home the next morning. |
I am SO jealous! I did a Med cruise with my mother and my youngest daughter in 1997. It was one of my greatest experiences.
ReplyDeleteThese photos tell the story. You must have had an amazing time!
ReplyDeletegorgeous photos, what a beautiful place to visit...I know what you mean about photos and fighting with the computer. I still have photos of my icelandic trip to post...lol! Don't worry about it, just be happy and enjoy your vacation.
ReplyDeleteHi Jean...Do you pinch yourself when you post these pictures, to make your self believe you was actually in this amazing place!! lol ; }
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed your picture ..you look like you was having a great time!!
I was away last week to the "County"...tried to get caught up on comments...almost made it .and the internet was down today !! grrr
This is just so amazing! What fabulous photos! You really saw a lot of fantastic places. Sighhh...
ReplyDeleteSorry about your Blogger trouble. I changed my blog format and that was very risky because you never know what's going to happen. Thank goodness it was OK.
The scenery and history in those photos is amazing. I took Latin for four years in high school, and I found your photos reminiscent of my Latin studies. What an accomplishment to make it to the top of a mountain!!
ReplyDelete