This morning I put the finishing touches on my Peasy cardigan. This is a sweater I haven't enjoyed knitting, so it's a relief to be able to say it's now done, except for its buttons.Never again will I knit an adult-sized sweater with DK weight yarn on sizes 4 and 5 needles. Never. It's been a long chore, and I had moments when I thought the chore would never end.
I gave Peasy a good soaking in Eucalan, took her upstairs to a guest bed, laid her out on a dry towel, and worked her into the shape she should be. Now I'll give her a couple of days to dry thoroughly before adding the buttons.
I discovered, while knitting the bottom edge of Peasy, that I'd made a mistake knitting the cuff edges of each sleeve. I'd wondered why the sleeves seemed to have such an unfinished look, and come to find out, the fault was mine! So after finishing the sweater, technically, I raveled a bit of each sleeve and reknit them correctly.
But now for the fun to begin. Mondo cable pullover, here I come. Not five minutes after I'd shut the bedroom door on Peasy, I was grabbing my six hanks of good Vermont wool, the winder, and the swift, and I was soon in business at the kitchen counter.Late this afternoon I'll get out the size needles called for in the Mondo pattern and do a swatch to check my gauge. I always hate taking the time to do a gauge check, and with some knitted items I don't bother, but with a sweater I must, if I hope to have a pullover that fits me once it's done.
I've been thinking all day about starting Mondo. I can't wait. Meanwhile I've watered the garden (We could use a good, soaking rain.), given fertilizer to the tomatoes, green peppers, squashes, and cukes, and trimmed the miniature lilac bush which has been looking very UN-miniature lately. I don't want it to get too tall, or it will block my kitchen window view of my bird feeder, the one the cardinals enjoy.
Now I must go outside again and trim the bridal wreath bushes. In another couple of hours I can start Mondo.
Oh, about its color. When I chose the Mondo yarn, I first grabbed it in blue. Just as I was about to pay for it, I said, "No, I always choose blue yarn. I'm going to swap this for something else." So I went back to the yarn display and chose green. I was very happy with myself.
Then I went to our car, where that darn Peasy sat in my knitting bucket...and I realized the new yarn I'd just bought is almost exactly the same color as Peasy. Foiled again.

Congratulation on the end of your stressful journey with ""Peasy""
ReplyDeleteI would like to order a Peasey sweater in this and that and this color.....just kidding! What a process, one I never have to worry about attempting! I like the header photo, haven't seen the deer here at all this spring.
ReplyDeleteCheryl, My heart stopped at "I would like to order..." Please don't do that to your elderly aunt!
ReplyDeleteMy company put me behind reading blogs but I'm catching up. Loved reading all about your knitting. I'm currently knitting a sweater from the Silky Wool Susan brought back to me. My gauge was perfect on size 6 needles but I actually think that yarn looks best on a size 4 or 5 needles. Must admit though I was happy to be able to knit my sweater on a size 6 since I don't like going below that size.
ReplyDeleteI'm anxiously waiting for the pictures of the new sweater.
you certainly have a passion for knitting. I'd much rather write poetry...
ReplyDeleteAs much as it was such a chore, the end product is wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI knew "my order" would catch your attention! You must wear that sweater as much as possible, after all that went into it!
ReplyDelete